The 1887-88 season began sensationally with several members of the team refusing to play whilst ‘men from out of town’ were being played. The offending players both professionals from Blackburn were Ackroyd (later to captain Southport Central) and Whittaker. At a clear the air meeting it was decided by a large majority to discontinue the use of the Blackburn men and play nothing but local talent.
During the season Southport Recreation amalgamated with the club and the Charity Cup Final was reached. After drawing 2-2 with old rivals, Churchtown, in the replay Southport fought back after trailing by three goals to equalise with the last kick of the game. The goal was hotly disputed as the referee added four minutes to compensate for the time lost kicking the ball amongst the spectators. The Charity Cup Committee decided that extra time should be played and when Southport attempted to score a goal and claim the game they were prevented by a number of Churchtown spectators who invaded the field. Southport eventually won the final 4-1 at the third attempt.
On 2nd June 1888 the Southport Guardian newspaper revealed that there was a scheme in the town to provide a football club of ‘Mighty proportions’..by raising an importation team’ Professional football was about to be launched in Southport.