T. G. Shipley became Secretary of Southport Central in 1897. He had been the founder of Southport Royal in 1894 and in 1895 he had helped found the Southport and District League.
He stayed with Central for eleven years as secretary before retiring to run an off-license on 5 Bury Road, Birkdale (Still an off-license today!)
During his secretaryship they won the Lancashire League championship in the 1902-03 season, and shortly afterwards made an unsuccessful application to join the second division of the Football League. In April 1905 the club won the Lancashire Senior Cup for the first time, beating Everton 2-1 in the final.
In office during the move to Ash Lane (later renamed Haig Avenue), when Southport were drawn at home to Carlisle United in the FA Cup around a year later he negotiated a switch to Carlisle for a guaranteed £100 from the gate receipts. Southport made the journey, won 4-0 and returned home with the cash and the victory.
Beloved husband of Florance, Mr Shipley died age 74 at his daughters residence in Spital, Cheshire on June 3rd 1939.
He was later suceeded as secretary of the club by Edwin Clayton.