In the Athletic News on Tuesday 14 September 1886, TB Burnett is listed as secretary of the club at 25 London Street, Southport.
Southport Wanderers are listed with the secretary a W. Kay at 66 Linakar street,
Southport Wanderers moved to a new ground in Scarisbrick New Road for the 1886-87 season. It was a large field, enclosed to a height of 7 foot 6 inches and big enough to accommodate three matches at once. A covered grandstand, to seat 140 spectators, and a dressing tent were provided. Three cows which grazed on the field withdrew behind the grandstand during matches.
On 25th September 1886, with the Wanderers leading 2-1, Skelmersdale United’s team walked off the field after disagreeing with the referee’s decision and Southport claimed the match. Three days later, at a General Meeting held in the Mather’s Saleroom, it was unanimously resolved that in future the club be called ‘Southport Football Club’ Thus imparting to it a representative character which it had not hitherto enjoyed.
Although not winning the Charity Cup, High Park defeated Old Boys 5-2 in the final, Southport’s second team won the town’s first regional honour by lifting the Liverpool and District Cup after defeating Earlestown 1-0 at Everton’s ground in front of 3,000 spectators. The victorious Southport team and 100 supporters journeyed from the ground to Exchange Station in wagonettes amid the tooting of horns and blowing of bugles. When the train arrived at Chapel Street Station some three or four hundred people heartily welcomed the winners. The captain, Alfred Halsall was carried shoulder high to the Railway Hotel, the club headquarters.
Published 19/05/1887 – Liverpool Mercury