The distinctive badge that adorns Southport’s shirts today used to be the property of the old County Borough of Southport, granted in 1923.
At the time, although permission was given for Southport Tugby Union Football Club, they would not grant the same permission to the town’s Association Football club. The device is based on a former unauthorized coat, which contained a lifeboat instead of the lymphad, which now proudly sails on the waves of the sea in the shield. The present representation was designed by local resident Dr Craven – one of the two men who originally won Southport its County Borough status – which accounts for the Rod of Aesculapius, the symbol of doctors in the crest, and also for the cross-crosslets, which were derived from the arms of Dr. Craven’s family.
The football club, for a short time of 3 or 4 years in 1920s, used a simple shield outline with the letters SFC, shortly afterwards dropping a crest entirely from the Jerseys until the 1970s.
Only when the Corporation was abolished under local government reorganisation in 1974 did the crest become available and the club began to use it from that moment on, though not on the shirts for a dozen years or so.