Grave Location: Duke Street Cemetery
A professional footballer for over 20 years and one of the founders of the Player’s Union, of which he was secretary and treasurer from 1929 to 1955.
Born in Southport he was spotted by Oldham Athletic playing local football, spending six years with them before joining Bolton Wanderers for a further ten.
He moved back to his home town club and captained the side when Southport joined the Third division in 1921.
He played in four inter league games at centre half and was once reserve for England.
After retirement he ran a sports outfitting business in Southport before retiring a few years before his death in 1957.
He was appointed a Southport Borough magristrate in 1942 and took a keen interest in all branches of sport. He was a lfie member of Southport & Birkdale Cricket Club and preseident of the Southport and District Table Tennis League.