Match Report – Southport Guardian – 28/10/1882


This match was played on Saturday, at Southport. The Southport “Reds” having lost the toss kicked off against a strong breeze, the ball being quickly returned into the Southport quarters, and kept there for some time, the defence of the backs however, being equal to every emergency. The “Reds” now made several attempts to get away, and the left wing taking possession ran the sphere up, and passing well to the centre, Coleman made a splendid screw shot which was wonderfully well stopped by Stackstead’s custodian; still keeping up the pressure the right wing now had a turn, Kay making a long high shot, which beat the goal keeper – first blood for the home team. The visitors now made several determined attempts to score, and worked hard, but without combination, which rendered all their efforts useless, the final shots going in touch, in fact, the “Reds” goal keeper only handled the ball about three times during this half. On changing ends, and with the wind at their backs, the “reds” now pressed the visitors, Briggs and Calvert on the left wing, making some splendid combined runs, from one of which Kay was again successful in scoring. The visitors, still playing hard, made a good run, and shot for goal. Platt, however, was all there, and cleared his goal in good style. The sphere was got away by Calvert, and passing to Briggs another good run was made, Coleman making the final shot, which went across the mouth of goal into touch. On being kicked off Ambler got possession, and passing in front of goal Briggs dashed past the backs and beat the custodian with a capital screw-kick. Stacksteads now broke away and secured a couple of corner kicks, but with no result, the defence of the backs being too good, Rylance and Ramsbottom playing a sterling game at half-back, and Burnett being noticeable for his coolness in averting every dangerous attack. Up to the finish the “Reds” were peppering away at the Stacksteads’ goal, only one by Coleman was successful, the goal keeper saving his charge time after time in the most gallant manner. On time being called, the Southport were left easy winners by four goals to nil, thus entitling them to play in the second round of the Lancashire Challenge Cup. Southport Team:- S.Platt (goal), T.B.Burnett (captain), R.Pidduck,E.Ramsbotham, and R.L.Rylance (backs), C.Ambler, J.L.Briggs, C.E.Calvert, T.Coleman, W.J.Kay and J.Melross (forwards). Referee, Mr T.Hindle (Darwen).

(Southport Guardian, 28th October 1882)