Match Report – Southport Visiter – 04/11/2021

Marcus sets new record in ’Port win

SOUTHPORT fought hard to secure a 3-2 victory against Chester at the Pure Stadium.

Marcus Carver, pictured, extended his impressive goal scoring run, while Jack Bainbridge and Jordan Archer also found the back of the net.

It wasn’t all plain sailing for Liam Watson’s side as they had to work hard in the second half to secure the three points and stop a comeback from the visitors.

The first chance of the game fell to Archer, who was unable to direct a Carver cross towards goal with his head.

It didn’t take too much longer for the deadlock to be broken, as Southport took the lead in the ninth minute.

The ball broke nicely for Bainbridge, who calmly slotted past Louis Gray in the visitor’s goal.

Chester’s first clear chance of the game came through Jack Redshaw, with the striker heading over the bar at the back post.

The Port also had chances to double their lead.

One of the best opportunities came through Archer, who made a superb run, and got a good shot away after cutting back inside in the box, but Gray made a good save with his left foot to deny him.

Redshaw continued to look like Chester’s biggest threat, as he forced Cameron Mason into a good save down to his right with a well struck effort from the edge of the box.

The Blues didn’t have to wait too long to find the back of the net, as the referee pointed to the spot, after a handball by Adam Anson.

Anthony Dudley stood up and converted the penalty to level the scores. It didn’t stay that way for long, as moments later Southport were back ahead, with Archer providing the finish in the 37th minute.

The forward then turned provider, as Watson’s side added a third goal two minutes later, with the ball being nodded down to Carver in the box, with the striker smashing it past Gray, who could not get enough onto it to stop it from crossing the line.

Archer nearly made it four before the break, hitting a well hit shot against the right post from a tight angle.

In the second half, Josh Hmami came close to extending the lead, with a well hit volley from the edge of the box just going wide of the target.

Down the other end, Chester pulled one back, as former Port midfielder Paddy

Lacey scrambled the ball across the line. The Blues came close to levelling the scores just before the hour mark, with George Waring heading wide at the back post.

Hmami, who had previously been booked for simulation, thought he should have had a penalty after going down in the box, but the referee waved away appeals from both sides concerning a spot kick and a second yellow.

Despite the building pressure heading into the final minutes, the Port held on for the three points, to make it two wins in five days.

SOUTHPORT: Cameron Mason, Charlies Oliver, Jack Doyle, Adam Anson, Doug Tharme, Charlie

Munro, Jordan Archer (71’), Marcus Carver, Chris Doyle, Josh Hmami (71’), Jack Bainbridge.

SUBSTITUTES: Connor Woods (71’), Isaac Buckley-Ricketts, Tony McMillan, Dylan Vassallo, Niall Watson (71’).

GOALS: Bainbridge (9’), Archer (37’), Carver (40’)

YELLOW CARDS: Anson (15’), Hmami (58’)

CHESTER: Louis Gray, Kevin

Roberts, Simon Grand, Dan Cowan, George Glendon, George Waring, Anthony Dudley (64’), Paddy Lacey, Matty Williams, Josh Askew, Jack Redshaw (63’).

SUBSTITUTES: Darren Stephenson , Luke Clark, Luke Horsfield, Jude Oyibo (64’), Charlie Jolley (63’).

GOALS: Dudley (34’), Lacey (47’)

YELLOW CARDS: Jolley (79’)