Match Report – Southport Visiter – 29/09/22

Watson’s goal ends winless run for ’Port

Southport Visiter


A SOLID defensive performance sees Southport hold on for a hard earned 1-0 victory against Leamington to please the majority of the 929 fans in attendance. Southport started off strongly and after a flurry of chances in the first 15 minutes the breakthrough came in the 16th minute as Tyler Walton found himself on the right wing with time to pick out a cross. He fired it straight onto to Niall Watson’s head and he couldn’t miss from five yards out to make it three goals in two games. After a few half chances to level the game for Leamington, it was Southport who had a golden opportunity to double the lead in the 25th minute. Marcus Carver broke away from his marker and found himself in behind the Leamington defence with men arriving towards the back post. Carver tried to pick one out but the ball deflected up over the oncoming attackers and trailed out just wide of the far post. The first half ended with Southport 1-0 up. Carver was in again in the 56th minute after being played in behind on a tight angle for a one on one – unfortunately his shot went straight down the goalkeeper’s throat. Once again Port had a clear cut chance to double their advantage when, after winning a 50/50, a five on one break was on – but after five shots and a pinball-like exchange in the box the attack was ended when Jack Bainbridge couldn’t keep his effort down and it sailed just over the crossbar. A nervy six minutes of added time was well handled and Southport got their first league win after five games without victory against a very tricky opponent who arrived in fifth place. The win will give everyone a boost ahead of Bradford Park Avenue’s visit to Haig Avenue next Saturday at 3pm. The return of Carver seemed to give everyone at the club the lift they needed and he got a well deserved ovation before and after the game – no goals for him on the night but his presence was evident

for all to see.