Southport FC Former Players Association (Port Online)

On this Day: February 10th

On this day in 1962 the Sandgrounders made a trip to league leaders Colchester United. Form had been disappointing for Southport since mid December with only a win over Chester the week previous brightening an otherwise dark period of defeat after defeat. It was always going to be a tough task at Colchester but rather than the result we craved the game was a positive for another reason……the first team debut of a certain Mr Arthur Peat.

Liverpool Echo – Thursday 08 February 1962

When the Sandgrounders had secured part-timer Peat on a free Transfer from Everton in the summer, good judges had said they had snapped up a bargain. But with the season only four days old, Peat fractured his leg in a reserve team game at New Brighton. After recovering from that blow, Peat was injured again when playing with the Lancashire Combination side early in the new year. Finally gaining fitness, he went on to give some storming displays for the second string and manager Lem Newcomb was quick to bring him into the first team squad. Strong in the tackle and always ready to back up his forwards Peat was just what the doctor ordered.

Liverpool Echo – Saturday 17 February 1962


Competition: League
Date: 10/02/1962
Attendance: 5379

Southport Line-Up: Bert HarrisArthur PeatBill RutherfordPaddy DalyJimmy BlainReg BloreBryan GriffithsFred LeederBobby EnglishBill McCarthyJohnny Fielding,     
Goals: None 

Liverpool Echo – Monday 12 February 1962

Winding Up Threat in 1979

On this day in 1979 Southport were to enter one of the darkest and worrying periods in their entire history.

A winding up petition was called against the club by the Inland Revenue.

Liverpool Echo – Saturday 10 February 1979

Thankfully we did manage to escape the clutches of the Taxman by repaying our outstanding debts. That we managed to do so is in no small part down to the intervention of our local MP Ian Percival who pleased on our behalf for a further period of 28 days in which to raise the money. Club Solicitor Richard Bennett was instructed to settle half of the remaining balance the very same week. The rest was down to the fans….

Liverpool Echo – Wednesday 14 February 1979
Liverpool Echo – Saturday 17 February 1979