1879 – Southport Wasps

After a particularly harsh winter in 1879 the original Southport Football Club failed to re-emerge for the new season. Southport Wasps dropped the ‘Wasps’ suffix and played for a season as Southport Football Club, moving to Manchester Road (by now referred to as Roe Lane) and adopting a new set of Red, White and Blue colours, becoming the second club to play number the original name.

This second Southport Football Club however stopped playing altogether in August 1880, leaving Southport Olympic as the town’s remaining rugby club. A number of the players to have either represented the original club, or Wasps, transferred their allegiances to Olympic, along with a number of supporters and key officials.

Next: 1881 – Southport Football Club