After six years without Rugby being played in the town Birkdale RFC acquire pitches at Victoria Park and put rugby in the town back on the map.
After re-establishing the sport in 1899, the club reorganized under new management in the summer of 1901.
“We are glad to observe that Birkdale Rugby Football Club, which made a very good start two seasons ago will continue its career this year under most favourable conditions.
The club is now under entirely new management, and, having arranged fixtures with most of the clubs in this district which are still loyal to the Rugby Union, has every prospect of a prosperous one.
Owing to the fact that the Rugby Union game has been for so long dormant in Southport, the club has had a hard struggle for existence, players of the Union game fearing that the Birkdale Club would no doubt follow it’s predecessors to an untimely grave, but we are informed that this year it will have no lack of supporters, and will be assisted on the field by many players of no mean renown in the northern district.
The club will turn out for the first time this season today, Sept 14th, when a match will be played on the Victoria Park ground, Birkdale, between the club and a fifteen selected by Mr. E.A.Smith from sundry fruitful sources in the neighborhood.
it is very desirable that lovers of the sport who be anxious to see the Rugby Union game flourish in Southport should give the club every assistance, both by being well “en evidence” at the matches, and by helping to swell the funds and membership list of the club by becoming either playing or honorary members.”
(Southport Visiter, 14th September 1901)