Sketches by George Green

Born on the 23rd of February 1892, the brilliant illustrator George Green’s sketches were a regular feature in The Liverpool Echo’s sports pages from 1925 to 1956. He did many sketches of Southport games and Southport players and here are just a few of those player sketches.

Lem Newcomb

Born near Darlington in 1903, much travelled Lem (short for Leamon), joined Southport for the 1936/37 season and soon became a fans favourite. Surprisingly released by the club at the end of that season, such was the public outcry that he was quickly re-signed for the following season. As well as being a player, Lem also had a spell as Southport manager from June 1960 to March 1964 but sadly a lengthy illness forced him to resign his position. In July 1964, just four months after leaving the club, Lem passed away at Southport hospital aged just 60.


Jimmy Cowen

Born in Distington, Cumbria, in January 1902, Jimmy Cowen joined Southport at the start of the 1929/30 season after scoring 56 goals in one season for Barnoldswick two years earlier. He was a prolific scorer for Southport and earned the nickname “£1,000 Cowen” due to the importance of the goals he scored. In 1930/31 he scored the only goal of the game against Bradford Park Avenue in the FA Cup 5th Round which gave Southport a Quarter Final tie away to Everton, a game that ended badly as we lost 9-1. The following year another cup run saw Southport through to the 4th Round where we were drawn away to First Division Newcastle United. 50,155 were at St James Park to see Newcastle take the lead after 30 seconds but Southport fought back and on the half hour mark Jimmy Cowen scored the equaliser. It stayed 1-1 and the replay at Haig Avenue attracted a crowd of 20,010, still the record attendance at the ground. Again Newcastle took the lead but again Jimmy Cowen equalised and despite playing extra-time it stayed 1-1 which meant that a second replay, this time at a neutral venue, was needed. Hillsborough was the chosen ground and on the 1st of February 1932, 19,181 spectators saw Southport’s hopes of a giant-killing crushed as Newcastle ran out 9-0 winners.


Joe Patrick

Joe first attracted attention whilst at Lancaster City by scoring 4 goals in 18 minutes in a game against Great Harwood. The following season, whilst still at Lancaster, he scored hat-tricks in three consecutive games earning the nickname “Hat-trick Patrick”.

He joined Southport in 1936/37 and in the three seasons before the outbreak of World War One scored an impressive 101 goals in 152 appearances whilst his 118 consecutive League appearances was a then club record.


Matt Middleton

Goal-keeper Matt Middleton arrived at Southport from North-Eastern side Bolden Colliery in time for the start of the 1931/32 season. He made a big impression in the FA Cup games against Newcastle and followed that up by being so impressive in Southport’s pre-season 1933 trial game that Sunderland signed him up on the day. He stayed at Sunderland for six years, playing mainly in the Reserves,  before joining Plymouth shortly before the War.