Match Report – 15/08/2020

REPORT | Fun In The Sun

Club Website, Aug 15, 2020

Mo Ali and Marcus Carver scored in the second half as Southport registered their first win of pre-season against Everton U23s.

On a scorching hot day at Finch Farm, the Port played well throughout, with a number of players increasing their game-time and three completing the full 90 minutes.

Again lining up with a system consisting of three central defenders, Southport were the first to threaten, Jack Sampson finding space behind the Everton defence but shot wide.

Minutes later, Dobbin fired a shot over the Port crossbar after managing to escape into the area.

In the lunchtime sun, Liam Watson’s side had a good share of the play, Russ Benjamin and David Morgan seeing plenty of the ball in the middle of the field.

Everton took the lead just after the half hour, Ellis Simms making an angled run into the area before directing a low shot past the dive of Dan Hanford.

And Simms almost added a second minutes later with a similar move but this time Hanford was able to save.

The Port continued to match their opponents for possession but they were dealt a blow just before the interval, Adam Anson leaving the pitch with a knock after a challenge on the edge of the Port area.

Hanford was also called into action to keep out a curling 20-yard free-kick from Hughes.

Both sides made a number of changes but the visitors continued  with their positive football. Morgan fed a low ball into the box which was directed towards goal by a trialist, only for goalkeeper Tyrer to save.

Ali drew Southport level with 16 minutes remaining, firing a shot home after Carver had dummied a free-kick from a trialist.

And it was Carver who secured the win in added time, controlling the ball well before dispatching a shot into the bottom corner.

Southport: Hanford (McMillan 70), Anson (Trialist 45), Ali, Oliver, Doyle (Trialist 70), Challoner (Trialist 70), Morgan, Benjamin (Trialist 70), Trialist, Sampson (Carver 70), Woods (Newell 70).