Southport Visiter – Match Report – 02/09/2021

Southport Visiter

Southport Visiter

Sandgrounders pegged back at Fylde
Southport Visiter
2 Sep 2021

SOUTHPORT FC couldn’t overcome 10-man Fylde at Mill Farm Sports

Village as they were defeated 2-1 by the hosts.

Jordan Archer had given Liam Watson’s side the lead, but they were pegged back just three minutes later.

A red card before the break didn’t make the task any easier for Southport, as they fell behind in the early stages of the second half and couldn’t find a way through a tough defence.

Chances were scarce in the opening exchanges, with the teams limited to long range efforts.

One of those came from Archer, who shot well over the target.

The Port striker didn’t let off the Fylde so easily with his next opportunity, as he opened the scoring in the 22nd minute, after he got onto the end of a great ball by Dylan Vassallo, before smashing the ball past Chris Neal, who couldn’t stop it despite getting a touch.

The lead didn’t last long, as the Coasters bounced straight back only three minutes later.

A ball into the box found Stephen Dobbie, who side footed it on the volley past Cameron Mason, to make it 1-1.

Looking to put his side ahead for the first time, Sam Osborne had a shot from the edge of the box, with Mason able to easily catch.

Five minutes before half time, Southport were handed an advantage, as Tollitt was shown a straight red for a challenge on Charlie Oliver.

Despite this it was the 10-men of Fylde who were on top after the restart.

Their period of control soon paid off, as they edged themselves ahead, as Joe Pigott turned superbly to fire past Mason into the top left corner.

Looking to get Watson’s side back level, Archer tried his luck from the edge of the box, but his shot went straight into the arms of Neal.

Adam Anson also had chance, as the ball was nodded back to him, but he couldn’t keep his effort down.

The best opportunity to equalise came to Marcus Carver, who came off the bench looking to extend his scoring run to four in four.

Josh Hmami crossed a great ball across the face of goal, but the Port striker couldn’t steer his shot into the back of the net.

Down the other end, Mason made a great save, one on one with Sam Osborne, to keep the visitors in the game.

Hmami producing another dangerous ball across the face of goal, but no one getting on the end of it.

In the final moment the Port thought they had found an equaliser, but the ball was just short of crossing the line, as a frustrating afternoon ended in a 2-1 loss.

SOUTHPORT FC: Cameron Mason, Charlie Oliver, Jack Doyle, Isaac Buckley-Rickett (60’), Adam Anson, Douglas Tharme, Dylan Vassallo, Jordan Archer (77’), Chris Doyle, Josh Hmami, Jack Bainbridge.

SUBSTITUTES: Tony McMillan, Niall Watson (77’), Marcus Carver (61’), Connor Woods, Charlie Munro.

GOAL: Archer (22’)

YELLOW CARD: Oliver (83’)

AFC FYLDE: Chris Neal, Luke Burke, Luke Conlan, Liam Nolan (77’), Alex Whitmore, Ben Tollitt, Sam Osborne, Luke Joyce, Joe Piggott (62’), Stephen Dobbie (71’), Jamie Scott.

SUBSTITUTES: Nick Haughton (71’), Jack Sampson (62’), Jacob Holland-Wilkinson, David Perkins (77’), Bobby Jones.

GOALS: Dobbie (25’), Piggott (53’)

RED CARD: Ben Tollitt (40’)

YELLOW CARD: Sampson (71’), Neal (82’)